Skip to main content

Admissions Information

The expert staff at KidsPeace has extensive experience working with private and public insurance and managed care programs to treat a wide range of issues affecting youth.

Some of the issues addressed by KidsPeace services are listed below. Specific admissions criteria for each program can be found in our services page. For more information or to make a referral, please call KidsPeace Admissions at 800-8KID-123 (800-854-3123).

Financial Assistance Policy

KidsPeace addresses a wide range of issues requiring specialized care, including but not limited to:

Adjudication cases
Adjustment disorder
Angry acting out
Bipolar disorder
Borderline personality disorder
Conduct disorder
Co-Occurring disorders (psychiatric/substance abuse)
Difficulties in interaction/bonding
Dissociative identity disorder
Dysfunctional behavior patterns

Impulse-control disorder
Intermittent explosive disorder
Learning disabilities
Multiple psychiatric disorders
Oppositional behavior
Posttraumatic stress disorder
School phobia
School refusal
Severe attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
Sexual abuse victims/perpetrators
Social/emotional maladjustment
Suicidal gesturing
Suicidal ideation
Most DSM-IV diagnoses

Insurance Information

KidsPeace has experience in working with many different insurance companies. If your insurance company is not listed, or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at Admissions at 800-8KID-123 (800-854-3123).

  • Aetna
  • Aetna Better Health KIDS (CHIP)
  • Allied Trades Assistance Program
  • Beacon Health Options
  • Berkshire Health Partners
  • Capital BlueCross
  • Cigna
  • Community Behavioral Health
  • ComPsych
  • Healthwise
  • Highmark Blue Shield
  • Humana Behavioral Health
  • InterGroup Services
  • Magellan Healthcare
  • Magellan of PA
  • Managed Health Network
  • Mental Health Associates
  • Mental Health Consultants, Inc.
  • National Provider Network
  • Populytics (Valley Preferred)
  • QualCare
  • Quest Behavioral Health
  • Total Care Network
  • TriCare East (Humana Military)
  • TriCare West (MHN)
  • USA Managed Care Organization
  • United Behavioral Health/Optum
  • Value Behavioral Health of PA
  • Workforce Assistance


What type of funding is needed to pay for treatment?
KidsPeace works with a variety of funding sources including public funding, Medicaid (if contracted with a particular state) and commercial insurance. Public funding is provided from a variety of sources. County agencies such as Children and Youth, Social Services, School District and Probation Offices can serve as a public funding source for placement. These agencies will typically have to review the case and initiate the referral process. 

Medicaid is provided by the state to individuals who qualify. To learn if you qualify for Medicaid contact your local social services agency.


I have commercial insurance, how will I know if it covers residential treatment?
The best way to determine if your commercial insurance covers residential treatment is to have KidsPeace research the plan benefits directly with the insurance carrier.  Have your insurance card available when contracting the KidsPeace Residential Admission Staff about your child.  KidsPeace will research your benefits within a few business days and contact you about how to proceed.

How much does my insurance cover for residential treatment?
The amount of coverage is determined by your health care benefit. It will vary from policy to policy. Your insurance company will need to authorize the placement. This authorization will be determined prior to admission based upon information that is exchanged between your child’s current physician and the insurance company. This is called medical necessity. Once admitted to KidsPeace, our clinical staff will conduct periodic reviews with the insurance carrier to establish the continued need for treatment. 

How do I know if my child meets medical necessity?

Medical necessity is determined on an individual basis by your insurance carrier and your child’s current treatment provider. Medical necessity is not determined by KidsPeace staff prior to admission. However, some guidelines to follow for medical necessity may include the following:

Hospital Admission Criteria:  Within the last 48 hours,

  1. Your child has been thinking about committing suicide or has plans to commit suicide.
  2. Your child has attempted suicide.
  3. Your child has had thoughts to commit homicide or to cause significant harm/injury to another.
  4. Your child has attempted to kill or cause significant injury to others.
  5. Your child has exhibited behaviors that pose a significant risk of significant injury or death to themselves or others. 

Residential Admission Criteria:  

  1. Your child has a DSM V Diagnosis which reflects their symptoms and behaviors precipitating the request for residential.
  2. As a result of the DSM V diagnosis, your child has persistent difficulties functioning in the home, school and community.
  3. Your child may have required multiple psychiatric hospitalizations and symptoms persist.
  4. Your child has utilized lower treatment levels of care (such as outpatient, partial hospitalization, BHRS and/or Family Based Services) without successfully treating their symptoms.
  5. Your child’s current treating psychiatrist and clinician agree that residential care is medically necessary.


Where will my child attend school while in residential treatment? KidsPeace has its own privately licensed schools, staffed by KidsPeace education experts and transported by KidsPeace personnel on KidsPeace vehicles.  The classes are co-ed for most programs and have a ratio of 12 students / 1 teacher / 1 teacher’s aide.

Can my child graduate from KidsPeace Schools?
Graduation requirements are the responsibility of your child’s home school district. This includes standardized tests that might be required by your home state. KidsPeace does hold a graduation ceremony and awards a high school diploma to the graduate.

Living Arrangements

What are the living arrangements for my child?
Children in KidsPeace residential programs live in dormitory-style units with 2–3 children per room. Depending upon the program, the unit might be stand alone (similar to a large home or cottage) or connected to other units with common hallways. Storage space is limited, so please limit what you bring (ask the Admission Specialist for a suggested list if you did not receive one). Please note that some of our programs such as our diagnostic centers and our transitional units are coed.

Will my child have a roommate?
Most client rooms are designed to sleep 2 to 3 clients. Single rooms are used for behavioral and health related issues as needed. Numerous safety protocols and technologies are utilized to keep your child safe while in KidsPeace care, including during night hours.


How long does the admission process take?
KidsPeace offers several different programs. Once we receive clinical information we can inform you within 72 hours if we can meet your child’s needs within one of our programs. This, however, is only the first step. Funding verification and state specific documents will then need to be completed. The entire process varies depending upon space availability and all completed documentation.

How do I know which program is appropriate for my child?
The admissions department reviews the clinical information provided during the referral process to determine the program that will best meet your child’s needs. 

How long will my child be in placement?
The duration of your child’s treatment will be determined by the rate of your child’s progress and the recommendations of the expert members of your child’s treatment team. Treatment can last as little as a few weeks, or can continue up to a year or more.

What They’re Saying

Dear Admissions, I cannot thank you enough for everything you do, and for how easy you make it for me in crisis. I love working with you guys on a daily basis and this is just a small something to let you know how much you are appreciated.

Community worker, St. Luke’s Monroe, PA

I was so fearful of the process due to a history of bad experiences with psychiatric hospitals. Your professionalism and attentiveness both on the phone and during the intake made me feel so much more at ease.

Parent of recent client in program