KidsPeace Baltimore Foster Care Plans Recruitment Fair/ Fundraiser
Baltimore, MD… KidsPeace Foster Care of Maryland is excited to announce a great upcoming recruitment fair/fundraiser for the entire family. On August 20, 2011, families are invited to hang out at Ultrazone on the lower level of the Eastpoint Mall. Come celebrate National KidsDay – an annual event to celebrate the inherent value and worth of children -- and help foster kids in the Baltimore area. Attendees will have the opportunity to play laser tag and learn about foster care during this four-hour event at Ultrazone. Thanks to the generosity of Ultrazone, Dominos Pizza® and Coca Cola®, families will enjoy 2 for the price of 1 Laser Tag games, pizza and drinks from noon until 4:00 p.m., and face painting, sculpted balloons and arcade games and more will also be available. A small donation may apply to some of these activities.
According to Program Manager Sandy Rappeport, this event will be great fun for families and give KidsPeace Foster Care an opportunity to reach out to adults who might be candidates to become foster parents. “This event will also raise much needed funding for our KidsPeace Empowering Youth to Succeed (KEYS) and mentoring programs for foster teens. These programs teach foster teens who will be aging out of the system skills for independent living,” Sandy explains. “We teach these kids how to develop and stick to budgets, save money, apply for jobs, rent an apartment, get insurance and many other skills that they probably haven’t learned in the foster care system.” The teens receive a small stipend at each class, and KidsPeace saves an equal amount for them for when they leave the foster care system.
“There are so many children waiting for foster homes in the Baltimore area,” Sandy continues, “that we reach out to potential foster parents every chance we get.” There are many misconceptions out there about who can be a foster parent, but in general:
• You don’t have to be married
• You don’t have to be rich
• You don’t have to have kids of your own (but having some experience with kids is preferred)
• You do need a safe home with a space for privacy for your foster child
• You need earned income that meets your personal needs
• You need a background free of violent crime
• You need an insured car or other reliable form of transportation to take your foster child to appointments
• You need a flexible schedule and time to spend with your foster child
• You need a loving heart to share with your foster child.
Please join us at Ultrazone on August 20 to celebrate your own children and help our kids become independent adults.
For more information, call KidsPeace Foster Care at 410-261-3232 or click here.